A history of staying true.
Founded in 1926, just prior to The Great Depression, Rolling Green Golf Club stayed afloat through difficult times, thanks to a William Flynn design that created a buzz in the community.
Flynn had earned his reputation as an accomplished course designer in Pennsylvania, after his work at Merion Golf Club in the early part of the 20th century.
Prior to the Club’s completion, all 335 membership certificates had been sold despite the financial crisis the country was in. The people of Springfield must have envisioned the spectacular course that was on its way.
Since its inception, Rolling Green Golf Club is one of the few clubs in the Greater Philadelphia region to stay completely true to its original mission statement;
“To be a “golf course first and foremost”
Over the Club’s 90 years of history, there have been efforts to add amenities but all have been rejected in favor of maintaining this reputation as a golf club and nothing else.
Rolling Green has hosted U.S.G.A events in the past, most notably the U.S. Women’s Open in 1976 won by JoAnne Carner.
In 2016, the Club is set to host the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship.
In 2015, Dr. Linda Hanna wrote Rolling Green Golf Club...Our History, Traditions and Legacy. Her knowledge of the Club’s history was used for these History pages.